Written in the Stars

Never Run from the Ghosts of Our Past

Global Moderator

I have nothing to say.

Broadfae Avatar

Broadfae

Post by Broadfae on Jul 25, 2021 16:56:05 GMT

This wouldn't be the first apprentice that Shadowfall had had, but it was the first since the loss of his mate; which brought back bittersweet memories of how he had once hoped to be mentoring one of his own daughters. Perhaps that melancholic feeling was why he had chosen the boat as his place to meet with Cicadapaw. A big proponent in guiding as much as possible, he had waited for the young she-cat to finish her breakfast, before taking her out that morning; rather than having her meet him in this place. Of course, it might have given him some time alone in which to gather his thoughts; but he also knew that this wasn't a place where young cats in particular liked to come out for fear of the spirits that supposedly lived there.

"Come on now, Cicadapaw." He reasoned, lean legs leading him upwards to the edge of the boat, springing onto the hull's edge which pitched under his weight on the water. "Do you need a leg up? I want you to stay near me while we're out here." He dropped into a crouch, ready to catch her if she didn't quite make it all the way onto the boat's bow as easily as he had. 

It was a misty morning; ethereal and quiet - just the way that he liked them. He was certain that their talk that day would go uninterrupted.

Administrator

I have nothing to say.

Tactical Avatar

Tactical

Post by Tactical on Jul 27, 2021 2:29:02 GMT

The brown she-cat was grateful that her mentor decided to wait for her to eat. Oh what to pick.... Her eyes fell on a water vole rather plump it seemed. Normally she would share something this size with Cricketpaw but it was a day of training right? That meant she would need all the energy she could get, not that she really needed extra.

With her belly full, she she followed her mentor occasionally getting distracted by different bugs chasing them and pinning them down. She couldn't help but chuckle when a smell moth landed on her nose. After a playful sneeze she caught up to her mentor and watched him leap onto the boat with ease.

Oh Cricketpaw is going to be SOOOOO Jealous." She beamed. She wriggeled her tail before bunching up her hind legs pushing off, she was a bit short, but was happy when she got a small nudge from her mentor. "They say this is where the Dark Forest Cat spirits are....and if not spirits then the mean rogues.." SHe mewed. Cicadapaw typically wasn't skiddish but the thought of meeting a dark forest cat didn't sit well, she made sure to stand behind her mentor, so that if the spirits were hungry he would be first. Better him than her right?

Global Moderator

I have nothing to say.

Broadfae Avatar

Broadfae

Post by Broadfae on Jul 27, 2021 17:48:51 GMT

Of course, that was the reigning theory within the clan, wasn't it; that the ghosts of their ancestors walked among them and could be seen as easily as summoning one of your clanmates. If only that were the truth; Shadowfall would have given anything to see Fallowvine again. Believed that if there was a way for her to come down and visit cats who were still alive, then she would have been there, with him, immediately. But his nights had been empty since her passing; neither her nor their kits had come to visit him. So his belief in ghosts was nonexistent. Maybe they visited Leaders and Medicine Cats out of Necessity, but - if Starclan was such a heaven then why indeed would they want to come back to such a place of pain and trial.

Still, he wasn't about to dissuade the little she-cat's curiosity; just temper her enthusiasm and any worry she might have of angry ghosts. "I don't believe the spirits would be bothering anyone today, do you?" He told her, helping her to gain her footing. "It's why I brought you here; to show you there's nothing to be afraid of in the silly superstitions. And also to help recognize some useful things."

The boat could be a shelter in heavy storms; as it remained mostly on top of the water, with only some areas sunken down in the murk. But it was even better as sometimes it's half-drowned state meant that fish could get caught and unable to find their way out, making it all the more easy to be caught, and a good place to practice safe hunting. No large water lizards could make their way in here, and snakes seemed to be similarly drawn away from the place.

"You aren't worried about spirits, are you?" He asked her, not scolding by any means - almost curious. "I assure you there's nothing that the other side could do to hurt you. Not regular living cats such as ourselves. And so long as you live to the code of your clan, there's no need to worry about meeting them in the Dark Forest afterlife."

Administrator

I have nothing to say.

Tactical Avatar

Tactical

Post by Tactical on Aug 4, 2021 3:24:08 GMT

Cicadapaw murmured a slight thanks as her mentor helped gain her footing. She tried her best to listen but a small moth caught her attention as she swiped at it in a playful manner, struggling to surpress a slight laugh. Her ears twitched when Shadowfall began to speak again about the spirits. "Oh maybe not today but I'm sure they will sometime I mean ya know Nightstar poofed we could poof too ya never know."

The spirits of the boat were an elders tale as far as the warriors were concerned and probably to stop apprentices like herself from going out at night.. not that she was overly interested in the half sunken water monster. She would much rather be chasing fireflies. That was the one thing she would do as a warrior...chase all the fireflies and no one not even Shadowfall could stop her.

"I'm not worried. Did you know I'm the fastest apprentice I could be back at camp before they blinked!" She puffed out her chest and darted towards one part of the water monster before turning tail and running back towards her mentor. "See fast right?"

Her ears flattened against her head when her mentor mentioned following the code. She couldn't imagine NOT following it...I mean sure she crossed the border ONE time but it was an accident. Surely that wouldn't be enough for her to get sent to the dark forest right? I follow the code.... mostly..but there was this one time there was a firefly and I was chasing it with Cricketpaw and we didn't mean to cross the border honest...we didn't hunt and I don't think anyone saw us.... but we went back right away promise!"

Global Moderator

I have nothing to say.

Broadfae Avatar

Broadfae

Post by Broadfae on Aug 5, 2021 1:16:52 GMT

My she was an excitable one; Shadowfall found himself reminded of many young cats he'd known in his time; they always seemed to be sources of inexhaustible energy. Or was it just that he was feeling a bit more his age recently; he was hardly ready to retire, but stiffness was beginning to find him from time to time. Especially when the cold weather set in. Or maybe it was just an effect of the general malaise that seemed to have overtaken him over the years - of so much loss and not nearly enough gain. 

"In any case - the spirits would hardly dare bring themselves out during the daytime, so I suppose we'll be save even if they did try to make an appearance." There was a bit of humor there in the comment, wry and rung out of his bones as if heavily squeezed. He hadn't exactly gone out looking to be assigned an apprentice; but maybe it would indeed end up doing him some good. 

"You don't need to worry yourself about Nightstar - their disappearance was rare and strange, but that means it's hardly a common occurrence." He assured her. "Nobody goes missing for no reason whatsoever - and if they did, or do, we will most often see them again. It's something we hold onto - that hope. Separates us from the loners."

He watched with mild amusement her antics, running up and down the smooth shell of the water monster. "I believe it - but speed isn't always everything. I suppose that's why I brought you here in the first place; to show you a few other strengths you could practice." A little bit of that humor entered his voice as he added. "And so we don't have any incidents such as chasing fireflies. Which...is excusable for now. But just in case it ever happens again we better show you a few tricks to help you defend yourself, shouldn't we. Before someone in Dawnclan or Oakclan mistakes you for a defenseless kit and tries to take you down."

Administrator

I have nothing to say.

Tactical Avatar

Tactical

Post by Tactical on Aug 8, 2021 1:06:47 GMT

A helpless kit? Did she really look like that? She flattened her ears against her head before giving her nose a wriggle in annoyance. Surely Oakclan and Dawnclan would know that she would be the most sensible warrior Nightclan has ever seen! Yes the almighty Cicadapaw would be the best warrior Nightclan had ever seen! THat is... AFTER she was done chasing the fireflies.

She puffed out her chest, she thought she had some pretty awesome battle moves. "Well they should be worried because I'm pretty sure I'm the only Nightclan apprentice to beat the gators...
"
She mused with a twitch of her whiskers. Maybe she wrestled the gators in her sleep... but as far as she knew she still one and in her mind that still counted. With a quick flash, she lunged haphazrdly towards her mentor, knowing very well she was doing so ungracefully. She would win though she knew it!

Global Moderator

I have nothing to say.

Broadfae Avatar

Broadfae

Post by Broadfae on Aug 10, 2021 16:33:44 GMT

At her comment about the gator's Shadowfall quirked his head in a sort of bemused expression. Really? He'd have thought he'd have heard of that one - but then again, these were apprentices - and he remembered particularly coming up with some wild ones when he'd been her age. Sometimes taking down a whole fleet of foxes, or twolegs who came with their water monsters to catch fish - wrestling them right out of their grasp. Specifically telling a lot of them to Vinepaw in the hopes of impressing her...for all the good that that had done...in the end...

Ah, there was that usual touch of melancholy again - even as the young she-cat was barrelling down towards him. She was quick - he'd give her that; but age and size was on his side. As she approached, he simply stepped out of her way - sticking out a hind leg in her path as he did so to try and slip her up.

"Speed is good, like I said - but you need to also try and think ahead as to what your opponent might do - like, if they can see you coming from an entire clan's length away - it's easy to avoid even a speedy cat." He briskly walked a good distance away again, putting distance between them. "So think...try again...how might you try to trick me as to where you're going?"

Quick Reply

ALERTS

[ Alerts ]
●︎ Clans are reforming and are on high alert
●︎ The high water from melting has created a super green environment. Prey is rather plentiful
●︎ Water levels appear to be rising due the melting snow in Dawnclan
●︎ Weather is very warm, the snow and ice in Dawnclan is melting!
[ Rank Changes ]
●︎ A leader for Nightclan has been chosen! Congrats Skystar!
●︎ Thistletea has been appointed medicine cat of Oakclan

[ Deaths ]

WEATHER STATUS

[ Weather Status ]
The air is warm and and wet making it a bit hard to breathe. The hot weather is causing the snow to melt in Dawnclan territory. This is causing water levels to rise.

[ Prey Status ]
Prey is plentiful in all clans!

[ Herb Status ]
The rising water has hidden some herbs in Oakclan and Nightclan but water thriving plants seem to be growing in high abudance!

THE CLANS

Leader: Silverbane
Deputy: Reserved (Ameri)
Medicine Cat: Frostbite
Toms: 0 She-cats: 0 Other: 0

Dawnclan Allegiances

Leader: Reserved (Kaz)
Deputy: Reserved (Wolfpool)
Medicine Cat: Thistletea
Toms: 1 She-cats: 0 Other: 0

Oakclan Allegiances

Leader: Skystar