Written in the Stars

Who Said being a warrior was easy?

Administrator

I have nothing to say.

Tactical Avatar

Tactical

Post by Tactical on Jul 22, 2021 1:11:14 GMT

Why did he decide to mentor again? He hadn't had an apprentice since.... his eyes trailed to the small river of water running under the stone bridge. Every time he came out this way memories of the battle with Oakclan flashed through his mind. Watching cats die, watching his apprentice crash into the water screaming his name. He winced slightly remembering the fear in his eyes as his apprentice's eyes closed and his head vanished deep under the water.

He slowly let a breath of air out, the same bridge that took the life of his apprentice, was the same one that cause his heart pain thinking about the death of their medicine cat. It still didn't sit right with him as he thought about the situation. A medicine cat of such high caliber mistaking death berries for something you could eat?

Perhaps he decided to mentor Tumblepaw because he needed to keep his mind busy and that was certainly the truth. He sat, stoic in nature looking across the border. He would be extra careful, and that is why he decided to come here first in the giant tour of the territory. His place had so much history...it was important to him.

His ears flicked as the familiar scent touched his nose. His whiskers gave a slight twitch before he turned his head slightly towards the swamps. "About time...." He muttered softly.

Global Moderator

I have nothing to say.

Broadfae Avatar

Broadfae

Post by Broadfae on Jul 22, 2021 16:34:48 GMT

The small she-cat had lived up to her name several times on the way across the territory, tripping over her own paws in eagerness to be there first; to show her mentor that she knew her way around already. She had grown up in Nightclan territory; had been taken on tours around, played in muddy puddles until she was a black cat instead of a white one. And she had always shown herself to be eager.

Maybe that was why Eveningstar had realized she was special. Why he had chosen her as his apprentice. She knew that that didn't matter, surely; any cat was just a good a teacher. But her brain told her otherwise - that this was the leader, who picked her. Who had wanted to train her. Because clearly that meant something - and she was going to make them proud - her whole clan proud.

Talk around camp had been a little morose lately. They had lost their medicine cat - and it made everyone sad. She was sad too; although she hadn't really been old enough to gain some lasting bonds with the older she-cat. But she remembered how they'd helped her when she had a stomach ache, gentle paws on hers. It felt strange, though, that everyone seemed so sad when she, in turn, felt so happy.

She made it late - gobs of wet dirt clinging to her back in incongruous spots where she had tripped and fell; but it had clearly done nothing to dampen her spirits. She probably should have bowed her head and apologized to Eveningstar, for making them wait, but instead she straightened herself up; making herself to be as big as she could manage.

"I was gonna be early - but then I got sidetracked. There was a frog, and I thought that if I went and caught the frog - well, the that'd be really impressive." She paused, to take a breath. "I...didn't, though, if you're wondering. Stupid thing hopped into the water with a plop. But it would have been good if I had, right?!"

Administrator

I have nothing to say.

Tactical Avatar

Tactical

Post by Tactical on Jul 24, 2021 18:20:53 GMT

When he turned around to see the she-cat covered in mud, and starclan knew what else, he raised a brow. He looked her up and down as she rambled on about catching a frog. Or attempting too rather. "At least you didn't go chasing it into the swamps..."He mewed softly.

"Eveningblaze look what I caught are ya proud!" The tom stood up mud dripping from all parts of his body he honestly looked like a swamp monster. He could hear his mentor laughing as he shook his paws sending mud flying all over.

"Nightstar is going to change your name to Mudpaw if you aren't careful." Eveningblaze shook his head back and forth. "I suggest giving that frog to him. It is his favorite afterall"

Eveningstar cleared his throat as he snapped back into reality. Maybe that's why he decided to mentor Tumblepaw. The personality between her and Ripplepaw was just too much. Something about her. He hadn't thought about Ripplepaw in quite some time. He would do better, that he promised himself.

"Anyways, yes it would have been wonderful but I haven't even taught you the proper technique....so don't worry about the frog. It probably got eaten by a water lizard anyways....NOW....what can you tell about the bridge in front of us." They were a few fox tails back, Oakclan had since taken the bridge back, but perhaps just maybe one day he would fight for it again.

Global Moderator

I have nothing to say.

Broadfae Avatar

Broadfae

Post by Broadfae on Jul 25, 2021 16:24:59 GMT

There was a technique to catching frogs? Well, color her surprised - she would have thought it just involved stalking them and their hoppy ways until she could get close enough to pounce. Maybe that was why she had failed.

In that case, she hoped that that would be something quickly added to their training roster. She was vexed by that loss of her catch - she wanted to bring back a buffet of prey to her clan - all laid out in front of her paws. Impress her friends, show everyone that she was one of the best apprentices. That she was worthy of being picked by Eveningstar, and give reason to the strut in her step.

However, it didn't seem like he was impressed with teaching her that so far; instead, more so the territory in which they hunted. Which was...okay, but underwhelming. She'd grown up in Nightclan, after all. She knew these areas like the back of her paw - or so she thought.

Still, she was trying to be good. Even if the lesson was boring. She fidgeted on her paws as she narrowed her eyes, trying to pick out something he might want her to see.

"It's bits of tree - but not tree. It's shaped weird." She said, finally. "Tree are round, not flat like this - and smoother." Then, because she wanted to prove that she knew her history, she added in. "And the stupid smelly Oakclan cats took it from us for some reason. Wait...does that mean...are we hear to take it back?!"

That was a promising idea - her tail whipped behind her in preparation of that reclamation. Boy, wouldn't that be exciting - to be in charge of getting territory for their clan. Almost as good as frog-hunting.

Administrator

I have nothing to say.

Tactical Avatar

Tactical

Post by Tactical on Jul 27, 2021 2:16:29 GMT

He had to admit he was rather impressed with how eager she was. However, he wasn't about to show it. One thing he knew all too well was TOO Much encouragement caused unnecessary problems. He cleared his throat before shaking his head. No they wouldn't be taking it back today. "I admire....your....hmmm Tenacity...but no." His one good eye glared over the bridge, he did wish to take it back...perhaps when they were ready.... and time had passed.

"See you clearly haven't been listen to the elder tales.. a great battle was held here not to long ago and an important one..." He didn't think about the battle of the bridge too often but it was an important lesson to be learned. "Many lives were lost here including our past deputy...and my previous apprentice..." He murmured.

The black tom went to the swamps before plucking a flower with his teeth and tossing it into the water. "We lost the battle so come here once a moon to pay respect to the lives that were lost here. knowing about those who sacrificed so you can have a safe place to sleep at night is important. Just like one day young apprentices will learn about you one day." He paused for just a moment to look down at the young apprentice. Your past, is just as important as the present, as is your future...I hope that you understand the important of that." He mewed firmly.

Global Moderator

I have nothing to say.

Broadfae Avatar

Broadfae

Post by Broadfae on Jul 27, 2021 19:32:56 GMT

Tumblepaw wasn't...cowed, per say. But as Eveningstar talked, she found herself bowing her head ever so slightly, ears flattening down against her skull as she listened. The battle for this bridge, it had taken place long before she'd been around, hadn't it. She had heard stories - of course she had. But at the same time it was as distant to her as talk of Nightstar was. She had been born after they were gone. She was a generation who had not seen the start of the roots to her clan.

But Eveningstar seemed pretty serious. Well, he was always pretty serious looking. Probably had something to do with the missing eye and big, ropey scars across his face and throat. Scary looking, some said. Tumblepaw agreed- but they were also sort of cool. She wondered what she'd end up doing to get her first scar. If it would look that cool.

But...probably not the time to ask that. As she watched him pluck the flower and toss it into the water, she did the same - although it took her a few more tugs to break it free and toss it, mainly because she had grabbed a clump moreso than a single bloom she sat beside him, her paws itching for movement but, for the time being it seemed like they were destined for a conversation, not necessarily a training moment. 

"Wouldn't a way to honor them be if we had the actually bridge, though?" She asked, curiously. "If we lost so much...wouldn't it only be fair to their memory if we took it back. Then it wouldn't be like we'd lost so many in vain?"

In her mind, uncomplicated by moons of complicated discourse, it was a simple as that. Maybe as simple as going to Oakclan and explaining what had happened, even. That they deserved that bridge because their blood had been spilled way more than theirs, and Nightclan was clearly more important.

Administrator

I have nothing to say.

Tactical Avatar

Tactical

Post by Tactical on Aug 4, 2021 3:13:06 GMT

Eveningstar was about to correct her, but he had to admit that she had a point. Taking it back would be a way to honor their memory. Then it all wouldn't have been for nothing. His yellow eye glanced towards the bridge and for a milisecond he thought about it. It was just a bridge right? Oakclan didn't really need it for hunting purposes, and they rarely crossed it anyways....

His whiskers twitched slightly before nodding his head in agreement. "You aren't....well you aren't wrong." She wasn't but now wasn't a good time. However her energy made him feel good. It meant that his clan was eager and that's just what he needed in a time such as this. All of the leaders vanished not to long ago and every warrior was looking to him to make the right calls.

"How about this, I'll teach you to catch your frogs and maybe some battle moons, and MAYBE i'll think about bringing you with me when I decide to take it back....BUT It won't be today. Fair?" In reality he probably wouldn't bring her, he would never risk her life for a battle that would most likely be fierce... but in a few moons he would be coming for Oakclan they just didn't know it yet.

Global Moderator

I have nothing to say.

Broadfae Avatar

Broadfae

Post by Broadfae on Aug 5, 2021 0:39:48 GMT

"Ye-ess!" For all her eagerness and ready to dive into battle, what Tumblepaw truly was looking forward to was just a chance to do something productive. She wanted to show herself as being a proper warrior - and learn some interesting things; not just stare at bridges, perhaps, or be toured around a territory that her own scent clung to. She wanted to learn, and to fight - and most importantly to make her clan proud. Which, in turn, meant making Eveningstar himself proud. So the mere idea that he'd take her suggestions into consideration - like she had affected something? It made her heart beat just a little quicker.

"I am gonna catch so many frogs - and be so good...at everything. Like, I'll listen, and then you don't have to do nothing like repeat it, or or...I'll be so good the first that that there's not even gonna be a doubt that I'm gonna be one of the absolute best warriors ever!" She'd be more famous than Nightstar, one day - she was practically convinced of that - so much so that she in fact lived up to her own name trying to dismount from the bridge and tumbled over her own paws into a pile of cattails - adding a few more splotches of mud to her pelt but certainly not letting it dampen her spirits. 

"So what do we do first, huh? HUH? Do we go after the frogs; be the frogs." She dropped into a sort of clumsy crouch, tail wavering in the air behind her like a banner as she scooted forward, nose to the ground.

Administrator

I have nothing to say.

Tactical Avatar

Tactical

Post by Tactical on Aug 10, 2021 0:39:59 GMT

Eveningstar rolled his eyes just slightly at her appearance before turning towards the swamps. "be the frogs...you could say that." As he walked in silence, the croaks of frogs echoed around them. The occasional buzz of gnats tickled his ears. The light seemed to dim, and the hard grass turned to soft mud and swamps. As he moved slowly he could feel the mud between his claws. It wasn't the most pleasant feeling, but it was home he didn't mind.

At last he paused near a shallow pool."See look here..."He whispered softly. He crouched down making sure his tail was behind him. His breathing was shallow and soft. He studied the ripples and the darting of tadpoles. "Look here..." With a flick of his tail he pointed to a bobbling olive head just above water. He raised a paw slowly as to not cast any shadows with swift movement his paw splashed the water and hooked the frog. With a quick bite the green creature lay at his feet.

It took finesse and a certain time of dawn but Tumblepaw would learn. "You see...the best time to hunt frogs dusk and dawn when there is very little light, and don't chase them..and most importantly the single shallow pools.. none of the deep long ones those are dangerous." He mewed firmly. Nightclan had lost one too many warriors to the gators and he was adamant about not losing anymore. "Go on give it a try, plenty of pools in these parts that are safe." He mewed, giving his apprentice a gently nudge.

Global Moderator

I have nothing to say.

Broadfae Avatar

Broadfae

Post by Broadfae on Aug 11, 2021 0:43:48 GMT

Tumblepaw's nose was practically digging a trench through the mud as she strut forward, eventually causing her to sneeze and give up on the search quite so intensely. Her face and ears flickered as she took more time stomping through the shallow pools than avoiding them - what fun was it in living in a place full of muddy puddles if you didn't take advantage by playing in them? But when Evenstar called; she grew silent...scuttling up to his side and watching with wide eyes as he took advantage of his prey and swept the frog into the air and onto it's back, killing it with a swift blow.

She had never seen anything quite like it; it wasn't like there were frogs flying around constantly like that. Her eyes went wide with awe. "That was totally amazing!" She squeaked, sounding like a cat minus twice her age as he tail waggled excitedly. "I can do that! I can totally do that!" 

Just like he said...she just needed to follow the sound of their funny songs...she crept upon a shallow pool and spotted a ripple - but before the head could peak up out of the water, she dove - not with one paw in a scooping motion, but all four - two front in the lead and followed by her hind legs that launched her into the attack. 

"Gotcha!" She yelped with a splash, sinking into the mud with all four feet and an all might flop, spreading murky water everywhere - but no frog under paw. "Darnit! Nothin - only some of those black wriggling things..." She felt one wriggling under her paw and clenched her claws around it anyways...because it was puny, but...hey...maybe it was like those big crunchy beetles that could sometimes be tasty. Her paws squelched in the mud as she tried to extract herself. 

"I thought I had it!" She grumbled, dripping and dismayed.

Administrator

I have nothing to say.

Tactical Avatar

Tactical

Post by Tactical on Aug 19, 2021 18:15:00 GMT

Eveningstar raised a brow watching her haphazard approach to frog hunting, but instead of correcting her posture simply watched with an amused look in his eyes. He knew all too well what would happen when the young apprentice leapt into the water with all fours. Water droplets and mud hit his fur. He gave his pelt a quick shake watching water drip from his apprentices pelt. He let out an amused chuckle, something he had not done in quite some time. Perhaps he needed to lighten up a bit more.

"You look like a swamp fish." He mused with a twitch of his whiskers. Very gently he grabbed his apprentice by the scruff pulling her from the muddy water and placed her on the ground."Those squiggles are Tadpoles, baby frogs. Don't eat them, they are incredibly slimy." They Certainly wouldn't hurt her, but the texture alone was enough to make him sick.

"Go ahead give it another go and try not to go swimming this time. I swear your splash was enough to wake the sleeping Starclan cats." On the plus side at least she blended in with the darker surroundings, but he was adamant about not leaving until she at least caught SOMETHING to bring back to camp. It was her duty to do so, hunting in Nightclan is certainly a bit of a challenge but between the smells and darker territory it shouldn't be difficult to learn.

Global Moderator

I have nothing to say.

Broadfae Avatar

Broadfae

Post by Broadfae on Aug 19, 2021 23:31:57 GMT

[post]Tumblepaw felt herself being picked up by the scruff, her paws pulled from the mud and water with a definite squelching sound, as she sort of twisted, dangling in mid-grasp. It was...embarrassing, to say the least; being pulled up like she was still a kit by her mother - and by Eveningstar no less. If anything though, it seemed ready to propel her to do better.

She wasn't going to go home empty-pawed today. Nosiree. 

"Got it...don't eat the tadpoles!" Sage advice which she'd remember...although they looked fun to chase if she thought about it. Quick, agile - she could sink her claws into one surely and have a bit of fun bringing them down. Maybe she could talk to a couple of her fellow apprentices about going fishing for 'poles at some point - just for fun, even.

"Over there!" She shouted, before realizing that she should have dropped her voice - Eveningstar was right in that she was loud. She trembled with excitement and made her approach - maybe whatever it was was old, stone deaf - or just not paying attention to the pawsteps.

"Gotcha! Whoa!" This time, she used her hind legs to push her forward, but her front paws were the only things to land on the bumpier back of the prey; solidly catching the landing, but causing the amphibian to squirm beneath her paws; it's slick back threatening to shake her off even as she dug her claws in and held on. 

She wasn't the biggest cat...and it was a big frog, so she struggled to keep it under control unless it pounce into the water with her clinging to it. 

"Eveningstar! Eveningstar I got it!" She cried triumphantly, although as the case might be it seemed like the prey might have had her just as well, squirming and desperate as it was to try and get away.[/post]

Quick Reply

ALERTS

[ Alerts ]
●︎ Clans are reforming and are on high alert
●︎ The high water from melting has created a super green environment. Prey is rather plentiful
●︎ Water levels appear to be rising due the melting snow in Dawnclan
●︎ Weather is very warm, the snow and ice in Dawnclan is melting!
[ Rank Changes ]
●︎ A leader for Nightclan has been chosen! Congrats Skystar!
●︎ Thistletea has been appointed medicine cat of Oakclan

[ Deaths ]

WEATHER STATUS

[ Weather Status ]
The air is warm and and wet making it a bit hard to breathe. The hot weather is causing the snow to melt in Dawnclan territory. This is causing water levels to rise.

[ Prey Status ]
Prey is plentiful in all clans!

[ Herb Status ]
The rising water has hidden some herbs in Oakclan and Nightclan but water thriving plants seem to be growing in high abudance!

THE CLANS

Leader: Silverbane
Deputy: Reserved (Ameri)
Medicine Cat: Frostbite
Toms: 0 She-cats: 0 Other: 0

Dawnclan Allegiances

Leader: Reserved (Kaz)
Deputy: Reserved (Wolfpool)
Medicine Cat: Thistletea
Toms: 1 She-cats: 0 Other: 0

Oakclan Allegiances

Leader: Skystar