Written in the Stars

A (Somewhat) Guide to Cat Genetics

Administrator

I have nothing to say.

KingHarry Avatar

KingHarry

Post by KingHarry on Jul 21, 2021 10:38:44 GMT

So, you're interested in cat genetics? Well, I'm afraid I have some bad news for you. As interested as I am in the subject, I know no way near enough to explain it to you. What I can do, however, is link you to my favourite sites for the subject!

DISCLAIMER: You in no way need to know anything about any of this to play! This is just here for those that would like to know more!

Let's start with perhaps my favourite guide:

This 12 part tutorial explains with pictures all the possible markings and colours that a cat can have. This is where I started myself and I felt like it gave me a good enough understanding to at least have some idea of what is going on. Even if you don't understand the genetics part of it, it should give you a good idea of what colour combinations are realistically out there.

Moving on from there, we have these two interactive guides:

Create-A-Cat and Feline Color Guide

(Due to Flash no longer being supported, you have to download these two from DeviantArt and run them through an emulator in order to use them.)

These two are very similar, but they are slightly different so I do recommend looking at both. They explain the genetics in a clear way while also allowing you to play about with the colours so you can see for yourself what the differences are. They also can provide you with a reference image if you want to use them.

Cat Genetics 2.0

This is more or less a non-flash based version of the previous links.

Moving on from there, I think we can look at something a little more text heavy:

This guide has more information that the previous examples, but also more science. Don't worry though, it has pictures and if you want you can just look at them! Again, you should at least get an idea of what colours exist from here. 

Messybeast has more guides that go into more depth about specific patterns and fur types here. It also has more genetic based guides here.

So, at this point you may be saying "but Harry! What's the point in this?" Well! By understanding genetics, you can realistically predict what your cat's kittens might look like if you enjoy that kind of realism. This guide explains some basic rules to consider when working out what kittens will look like:

But hey, some of us are lazy, right? Well, let me introduce you to this wonderful tool!

This will allow you to put in what the parents of the litter look like and it will tell you what a litter might look like on average. Plus, for the more adventurous of you, there is an advanced version here.

Honestly, that whole site is amazing and has lots of good guides. I recommend checking them all out!

Really, there's no point to this guide. I just wanted to share with you all the possibilities out there and some useful tools when it comes to looking at this kind of thing. Hopefully it can be of help in some way, be it when looking for FCs, predicting litters, or anything else!
Last Edit: Aug 23, 2021 15:21:18 GMT by KingHarry
DawnClan: Mothmaw
OakClan: Blackheart, Moorwhisker
NightClan: Paletongue, Cricketpaw

ALERTS

[ Alerts ]
●︎ Clans are reforming and are on high alert
●︎ The high water from melting has created a super green environment. Prey is rather plentiful
●︎ Water levels appear to be rising due the melting snow in Dawnclan
●︎ Weather is very warm, the snow and ice in Dawnclan is melting!
[ Rank Changes ]
●︎ A leader for Nightclan has been chosen! Congrats Skystar!
●︎ Thistletea has been appointed medicine cat of Oakclan

[ Deaths ]

WEATHER STATUS

[ Weather Status ]
The air is warm and and wet making it a bit hard to breathe. The hot weather is causing the snow to melt in Dawnclan territory. This is causing water levels to rise.

[ Prey Status ]
Prey is plentiful in all clans!

[ Herb Status ]
The rising water has hidden some herbs in Oakclan and Nightclan but water thriving plants seem to be growing in high abudance!

THE CLANS

Leader: Silverbane
Deputy: Reserved (Ameri)
Medicine Cat: Frostbite
Toms: 0 She-cats: 0 Other: 0

Dawnclan Allegiances

Leader: Reserved (Kaz)
Deputy: Reserved (Wolfpool)
Medicine Cat: Thistletea
Toms: 1 She-cats: 0 Other: 0

Oakclan Allegiances

Leader: Skystar