Written in the Stars

Dawn of the First Day || Training Thread

Kit

I have nothing to say.

stephcansketch Avatar

stephcansketch

Post by stephcansketch on Aug 21, 2021 19:09:36 GMT

Wolfpaw waited anxiously at the bottom of the barren hills, his tail tip twitching to release his energy. It was his first training session- excluding the day of his apprentice ceremony where Bellwing had shown him the territory. Last night before they had gone to their nests, Wolfpaw was told to meet her next to the pine with the rock beside it. So here Wolfpaw was. But anxiety crawled in his belly. What if he was at the wrong pine? What if he was in the wrong part of the territory entirely. Don't be stupid he chastised internally as he glanced around, searching for Bellwing. You're surely at the right place. Just stop worrying like the useless kit you are. However, the anxiety didn't ebb. Wolfpaw let out a heavy sigh and continued to scan the area in search of the gray-blue she-cat. 

I hope this is ok for the starter! I wasn't entirely sure of how to start so I just did this, lol

Character Roster:
> Wolfpaw of DawnClan
> Silentwatcher of NightClan

Global Moderator

don't mind me, just crying over fictional cats

mew Avatar

mew

Post by mew on Aug 24, 2021 23:20:20 GMT

BELLWING
she/her • dawnclan warrior

The southern hills of DawnClan’s territory were calm as the morning sun beamed overhead without the cover of many trees. It was normally a nice (and safe) way to get away from all the buzzing in camp if one wanted their space for a bit; and it was a place Bellwing visited as often as her whims deemed. The blue warrior found solace in losing herself against bare open sky and the lone trees who always had some somber story to tell in their aged trunks and roots, and she hoped it would do the same for her forlorn new apprentice.

~~~

When they had first been introduced, Bellwing had understood why Spiderstar had chosen her for such an important task. Granted, the blue tabby was a well-liked warrior, but also one with her own schedule, it seemed, once her daily duties were done. She was an enigma and often considered an odd ball despite her pleasantries, but also tender and mild. She worked to support her clanmates with more fervor than anything else, and it reflected in a soothing balm of an air that she surrounded herself with. Of course their leader would bestow such a nervous little kit upon one of the most passive warriors she could.

~~~

As Bellwing approached the meeting spot, the she-warrior could already detect her apprentice ahead of her as his scent carried upwind. A soft smile unfurled on her face as she noted how punctual her pupil was and added a little more hop to her step so as to not keep him waiting for too long. She waved her large blue plume of a tail as his dark tabby pelt came into view, and padded down the hill only to slide near the end with a little hum of delight. Picking up her haunches, Bellwing continued until she was a tail-length or two away and dipped her head lightly. ”Good morning, Wolfpaw. I hope moving in went smoothly.” Cornflower eyes softened as she noted the uneasy tension held in his body before the queen adding more calmly, ”Did you sleep well?”

notes:: n/a
tags:: 

format borrowed from
Last Edit: Aug 24, 2021 23:44:44 GMT by mew
she/they | cst time zone | plotter

dawnclan
pollenpetal | 18 moons
oakclan
thistletea | 32 moons
nightclan
pepperpaw | 7 moons
outsiders
carrot | 10 moons

Kit

I have nothing to say.

stephcansketch Avatar

stephcansketch

Post by stephcansketch on Aug 25, 2021 1:03:01 GMT

Wolfpaw only seemed to relax a little as he saw Bellwing came into view. I wasn't as stupid as I thought, he mused as a small sigh passed through his muzzle.

Wolfpaw jerkily dipped his head as his mentor dipped hers to him. "Good morning, Wolfpaw. I hope moving in went smoothly," she meowed. Wolfpaw stiffened a little a the memory of the awkwardness between he and his other denmates. He remembered stammering a little as he set up his nest in the corner before curling up and going to sleep. He shuddered slightly at the memory, embarassment and shame burning through his pelt. Of course I had to be a coward, he chastised.

Wolfpaw's ears pricked as Bellwing's voice brought him from his thoughts, "Did you sleep well?" Wolfpaw brought his eyes up to her face, although he was unable to make eye contact. He could see a calmness in her eyes that Wolfpaw suspected was supposed to comfort him. He simply just sighed.

"I-I, uh, I slept okay," he stammered. Wolfpaw felt embarrassment sear more prominently through his pelt at his stammer. Shut up, mousebrain! Stop sounding like a kit! Wolfpaw shook his head slightly to clear it before looking back at Bellwing and meowing, "U-Um, wh-what are we g-going to be d-doing today?"

Character Roster:
> Wolfpaw of DawnClan

Global Moderator

mew Avatar

mew

Post by mew on Aug 26, 2021 8:35:17 GMT

BELLWING

Bellwing knew she could still feel the palpable discomfort radiating from the young tom, but the she-cat hoped it was simply a byproduct of his greeness as an apprentice. Wolfpaw still refused to meet her gaze, and the she-cat wondered if there was something she could perhaps do to appear less imposing. For now though, she’d have to settle on how she would carry out her lessons. Maybe then she could find a way to meet Wolfpaw halfway.

As if he could read her thoughts, the dark tabby quizzed with a small stutter what they would be training on after having answered her question. Her smile deepened a little as she gave a slight nod before responding. ”Of course. As you know, we briefly toured the territory yesterday, but we only focused on key landmarks. There will be more time to further explore, but for now, I’d like for us to start with the basics.”

As she spoke, the queen had begun slowly padding a few paces away towards a small collection of pine trees nearby. Around the bases of their trunks, amidst the scattered needles, sat a few dropped pine cones. Bellwing gingerly picked one up between her teeth, relishing the pungent scent, and carried it back towards Wolfpaw. She dropped it in front of herself and carefully rolled it around with one paw. The pine cone was scaly and green, with it’s spiny fans still tucked closely together. With a small flick of her plumed tail, she beckoned her apprentice over to examine it.

”I’m sure you’ve seen a number of pine cones in camp before, but perhaps not of this color,” she began. ”While most pine cones are brown and open up when they fall, sometimes younger pine cones will drop off early. You can tell by their color and their smaller shape, but what makes these special is how heavy and hard they can be when you don’t expect it.”

Taking a moment to pause her introduction, the large blue warrior turned with surprising swiftness and in the same fluid motion, she had launched the pine cone with a strong kick of one of her hind legs. The green projectile rocketed a couple of fox-lengths away before colliding with a burnt trunk with a solid thunk. Turning back to Wolfpaw, she continued, ”Warriors of DawnClan have been blessed with strength where the other two clans have speed. Thus, we have developed our own tactics to keep up with them where fancy footwork may be abused.” Her smile never disappeared, but it softened once more as she purred, ”We’ll be going over the basic kick forms today. Let’s go see if we can’t find a few more pine cones to practice with, hm?”

notes:: sorry if i word-vomit a bit during training ^^'

format borrowed from
Last Edit: Aug 26, 2021 8:35:45 GMT by mew

dawnclan
pollenpetal | 18 moons
oakclan
thistletea | 32 moons
nightclan
pepperpaw | 7 moons
outsiders
carrot | 10 moons

Kit

I have nothing to say.

stephcansketch Avatar

stephcansketch

Post by stephcansketch on Aug 30, 2021 16:20:04 GMT

Wolfpaw's stomach plummeted when Bellwing mentioned kick forms. He knew his large paws generally made him more clumsy, so he began to feel dread at the thought of trying to kick a pine cone.

Wolfpaw's ear twitched and a doubtful frown slipped briefly across his muzzle. "O-Okay..." he mewed, rising to his paws. "Wh-What d-do I n-need to do?"

Dude, I completely get the rambling; I relate so fucking hard lmaooooo
Sorry for the delayed reply again!! ^^'
Character Roster:
> Wolfpaw of DawnClan

Global Moderator

mew Avatar

mew

Post by mew on Sept 5, 2021 15:59:09 GMT

BELLWING

”Easy,” Bellwing cooed as she lightly brushed her tail against Wolfpaw’s side in an effort to steady him, noted her apprentice’s small frown before it disappeared behind his nervous visage. She had scanned over him, taking closer inspection of the shapes and natural gait of his body before giving a little nod. ”This works well; you see Wolfpaw, you have large paws like I do. I know these can sometimes feel like more of a hindrance at times, but if you are clever, you can turn them into blessings.” As if to punctuate her point, the blue tabby strafed to one side and held up one of her forepaws for her demonstration.

Flexing out her silver toes, she continued, ”Comparatively, larger paws are heavier than smaller ones, which leads to how fast a cat can become. A warrior with smaller paws may be able to dodge or jump out of a tricky spot swiftly whereas we may not be able to do so with such ease. However, larger paws are more stable and grounding, and because of their size, one can cover more space with ease.” Bellwing wondered if perhaps she was going into too many details, or if her apprentice was one of the less impatient youngsters in DawnClan.

”This means when it comes to kicking pine cones, even if your accuracy is a bit off, you’re more likely to hit it than any cats with smaller paws; and you’ll be giving it more power than smaller paws could muster.” She then took a few steps ahead of the tabby tom and in a slow, methodical motion, kicked back one of her hind legs in a small sweeping motion across the grass. She repeated the motion again, keeping the calm pace so that Wolfpaw could study how she did it. ”This is the simplest form, and one that you can apply to almost any situation. We start off by sweeping our paw just above the ground to collect the pine cone before lifting a bit more to launch it. You don’t have to worry about kicking high; usually your best bet is to aim for the legs of your opponent. You keep your movements even to make sure it goes where you want it to.” She gave a small sheepish smile before adding, ”Plus, rash kicks can sometimes pull something in your leg and make it sore. That is why it is very important that we DawnClan warriors stretch regularly over the day; it helps to keep you not only warmer, but keeps your limbs flexible.”

Flicking her feathery tail, she purred, ”Come see if you can match my pose. We’ll see how you naturally kick and start from there.”

notes::  sorry about the wait

format borrowed from

dawnclan
pollenpetal | 18 moons
oakclan
thistletea | 32 moons
nightclan
pepperpaw | 7 moons
outsiders
carrot | 10 moons

Kit

I have nothing to say.

stephcansketch Avatar

stephcansketch

Post by stephcansketch on Sept 6, 2021 15:31:22 GMT

Wolfpaw stood, doing his best to hide his discomfort, as Bellwing examined his body. He blinked in surprise as she meowed, ”This works well; you see Wolfpaw, you have large paws like I do. I know these can sometimes feel like more of a hindrance at times, but if you are clever, you can turn them into blessings.” How in StarClan's name can that be? He wondered. All I ever do is trip on them like an overgrown kit. Wolfpaw watched as Bellwing lifted her paw, and he did the same. Both cats had wide paws, though Wolfpaw's had extra tufts of fur between his white toes. He listened attentively to Bellwing's words, soaking in her information like water in a moss ball.

Wolfpaw took a step back as Bellwing moved to demonstrate the move. He observed her form carefully, trying to mentally picture himself copying her. He felt discouragement twist into his belly as Bellwing turned to him. ”Come see if you can match my pose," Bellwing purred. "We’ll see how you naturally kick and start from there.”

Wolfpaw rose to his paws and strode to his mentor's side, his tail tip trailing in the dirt. He took a long, deep breath as he slid into position. He lifted his hind paw and kicked, trying his best to copy Bellwing. The motion felt surprisingly comfortable, and he continued in the methodical kicking like Bellwing had. To an onlooker, his form wasn't terrible. He seemed to have most of his weight on the left side, so he wasn't entirely balanced, but the kicking form was pretty solid. All in all, it needed some work, but was a good starting point.

Sorry I replied with an entire novel, lmao
I love writing this guy so much

Also for that kick, I rolled a 14 on a d20, so if you wanna work off of that, you're more than welcome to!
Character Roster:
> Wolfpaw of DawnClan

Global Moderator

mew Avatar

mew

Post by mew on Sept 16, 2021 4:31:51 GMT

BELLWING

The queen watched with a keen eye as her apprentice attempted to match her motions. She took note of his stance, of where he leaned, and which legs he favored. It was all critical information for her to know if she were to best gauge his lessons; after all, there was nothing more important to Bellwing than the wellbeing of her clanmates. With a small nod, she padded over closer to Wolfpaw.

”Good form,” she started as she watched his leg kick outward. ”What I want you to try is alternating which leg you kick with. I’ve noticed you lean a little more to one side, but that’s an easy fix. Try working with both legs evenly and I believe it will help you to balance out.” She wore a small, satisfied smile as she hoped he would detect the praise evident in her tone. ”Keep working on that and I’ll go see about getting some pine cones to practice with.” Without waiting for her apprentice to protest, the blue warrior bounded off in the direction of the sparse trees.

notes:: n/a

format borrowed from

dawnclan
pollenpetal | 18 moons
oakclan
thistletea | 32 moons
nightclan
pepperpaw | 7 moons
outsiders
carrot | 10 moons

Quick Reply

ALERTS

[ Alerts ]
●︎ Clans are reforming and are on high alert
●︎ The high water from melting has created a super green environment. Prey is rather plentiful
●︎ Water levels appear to be rising due the melting snow in Dawnclan
●︎ Weather is very warm, the snow and ice in Dawnclan is melting!
[ Rank Changes ]
●︎ A leader for Nightclan has been chosen! Congrats Skystar!
●︎ Thistletea has been appointed medicine cat of Oakclan

[ Deaths ]

WEATHER STATUS

[ Weather Status ]
The air is warm and and wet making it a bit hard to breathe. The hot weather is causing the snow to melt in Dawnclan territory. This is causing water levels to rise.

[ Prey Status ]
Prey is plentiful in all clans!

[ Herb Status ]
The rising water has hidden some herbs in Oakclan and Nightclan but water thriving plants seem to be growing in high abudance!

THE CLANS

Leader: Silverbane
Deputy: Reserved (Ameri)
Medicine Cat: Frostbite
Toms: 0 She-cats: 0 Other: 0

Dawnclan Allegiances

Leader: Reserved (Kaz)
Deputy: Reserved (Wolfpool)
Medicine Cat: Thistletea
Toms: 1 She-cats: 0 Other: 0

Oakclan Allegiances

Leader: Skystar