Written in the Stars

Jitters [Training]

Global Moderator

I have nothing to say.

Broadfae Avatar

Broadfae

Post by Broadfae on Aug 1, 2021 18:00:05 GMT

Oh Dear Starclan, what exactly was he supposed to be doing.

Nutdapple was not a nervous fellow - okay, he was, but not when it came to being friendly around others. He could be nervous about plenty of things, but this shouldn't have been one of them. Only, it was his first apprentice - his very first one, and he was highly aware that he could mess this up spectacularly. It didn't help that Fawnpaw was an adorable foundling - it wasn't one of the kit's he'd grown up with playing chase-his-tail with, or letting take badger rides on his back. She had been found eating crowfood and looked delicate and scared and there was so much potential there that if he did he wrong thing he might potentially scare them away forever and Foxstar would never forgive him, and - 

Okay, no. Breath. He needed to breath, because others were very good at reading body language, and right now one might suspect that he had eaten one of those weird and dangerous frogs and seeing things that were not actually there or something. He just...would do what his mentors had taught him to do...what had been his very first lesson.

He couldn't remember. He couldn't remember and this was going to be a disaster - 

"Fawnpaw!" He turned back to make sure that at least the smaller she-cat was following him, false cheeriness and bravado blooming across his face in a slightly manic expression. "You're keeping up okay right? Tell me if I'm going to fast - cause I can slow down. It's not a you thing, either...it's okay to be slow on your first few times, I promise!"

He wanted to show her something spectacular - to do something really neat, and show off a good first impression.

If only he could think of what that would be.
Last Edit: Aug 1, 2021 18:00:37 GMT by Broadfae

Kit

I have nothing to say.

leonyami Avatar

leonyami

Post by leonyami on Aug 1, 2021 19:38:29 GMT

Fawnpaw was not used to all the hustle and bustle of the camp still, with every small noise caused her skin to crawl. So when she heard that she was going out of camp, a small spark of excitement filled her heart, not that she showed it. Maybe she could even catch one of those weird-sounding things that liked to jump into the water.

That being said every twig snap causes her heart to beat a little bit faster, thinking it could be an enemy on the other side of the sound. Still, she tried to keep up with the brown spotted tom, but every noise made her even more cautious. Yes, they gave her food, shelter, and somewhat of a family, but were they trustworthy, or would they be like the others that tricked and attacked her when she least expected it. Or what if the worst happened again, she'd lose her family every semblance of the life she knew and be an outcast to the wilds of this world.

Umm?” she meowed, the sound of her new name broke her from deep in her thoughts. Seeing how she had fallen behind, she quickened her pace to catch up. “I'm fine,” She hastily replied in her monotone voice, a slight bit out of breath. The fears being abandoned swelled up pushing past the nervousness for now. She would have to focus on being the best… Was it a clean cat… Anyway, the best cat that she could be, so nothing was going to kick her out.

Global Moderator

I have nothing to say.

Broadfae Avatar

Broadfae

Post by Broadfae on Aug 2, 2021 22:24:21 GMT

There was a hint in her voice, despite claiming the other, that told him she might be as up to the pace as he was, so he put on the breaks, letting his paws fall into more of an easy rhythm until he was walking besides Fawnpaw to lead her rather than staying ahead. She was a quiet one - but he supposed, well...that made sense. They'd have to do their best to make her feel welcome, wouldn't they? Although probably not as exuberant as he might have liked, as that might just scare her away.

It was a fine line to walk, honestly.

"We don't need to go that fast - really." He told her, shortening his stride just a bit to keep pace, and retaining that ever-cheery tone. "I'm just...excited is all. Your first day with training, it's a good day." Of course, usually it was the apprentice who was supposed to feel the jitters and nerves - but it certainly felt different to him.

"Has anyone taken you around our territory, yet? Shown you where our boundaries are?" That was a good start, right? Especially for a cat who wasn't familiar with their lands. It wouldn't be good if she accidentally stepped over something - Nightclanner could be particularly petulant in guarding their precious swampy lands.

Kit

I have nothing to say.

leonyami Avatar

leonyami

Post by leonyami on Aug 3, 2021 1:02:02 GMT

Noticing the slowing in pace, Fawnpaw opened her mouth to protest the change in pace. Quickly, she decided against arguing about it liking the pace, so she could catch her breath. It made her relax a bit, as she could take in her surroundings more. Listening to the sounds of water-crashing and birds chirping, her ears flicked back and forth attempting to take it in. “It’s fine.” She replied again in her monotone voice seeming more of a habit now. “ No cat has they just took me to the …” Her voice trailed off hearing the familiar sound of the weird animal near the water that jumped(frog).

Suddenly, her ears darted toward the sound. Her muscles twitched, but she didn't dare move a paw. “Camp.” Borders and territories were very unfamiliar to her besides the occasional cat that runs her off saying something about them. “Wait, the…” Pausing trying to think of the word, but she continued. “Isn’t one big group under different names.” Her ears flicked towards the sound hearing another croak. Yes, she heard bits and pieces about other cats, but in her mind, she thought they were one group under different names. The two legs did this a lot with different names for food.

Global Moderator

I have nothing to say.

Broadfae Avatar

Broadfae

Post by Broadfae on Aug 4, 2021 0:09:13 GMT

Oh, clearly he knew where he needed to start, now; especially with Fawnpaw acting jumpier than a literal frog. Not that he would ever critisize anyone, but maybe next time Foxstar should look into helping new clanmates - those who hadn't grown up in their territories, to actually know what it was to be a clan cat too. What would happen if they'd have run into another clan while they were out - some nasty Nightclanners with a vendetta and a bone to pick. It could be dangerous, and it wasn't fair to those who didn't grow up like he had.

"It's alright." He reasoned, trying to do his best to be soothing, teacherly - but his nerves basically adding his own jumpiness to his actions. "We'll start from there, then. There isn't anything that'll hurt you out here...well...not around this time. Just stay back from the water's edge and get comfortable." Seemed like as good a place as any for a bit of impromptu storytime.

"You're half right. There are different names, and we're all, well...we're all sort of similar in that we live the same way, but some of the cats...they're pretty different." How was he supposed to bring this up to a former loner. Ah. "Did you ever run into a cat, when you were on your own, who got a little touchy about 'their stuff' - like they made like they owned a particular spot and chased of anyone who came after them? It's like that. There are three clans; big groups, like you said; Nightclan, Dawnclan, and then us - Oakclan. And those three groups have their own places that they call their own. And they protect it. Some of those clans - like us...we're a little more forgiving of others who don't know any better stepping foot on our land. We're a little more open to letting outsiders join in, and lending a paw. But the others? Not so much."

Yeah, maybe he was biased - but the other two clans seemed to have a bit of a gripe when it came to friendliness and common decency. Which was probably why it was a good thing that Fawnpaw'd stumbled into their patrol and not some other clans. "Part of their job as a group is to defend that land that they say is there from outsiders - so they can live well and raise their kits and be healthy. We do that too - but mostly from the other two clans. We keep the territory we need in order to keep everyone fed and happy and healthy, and within those borders, we make sure that nothing bad happens, and that nobody's doing anything horrible or against the code - which we'll get to. Are you with me so far?"

Kit

I have nothing to say.

leonyami Avatar

leonyami

Post by leonyami on Aug 4, 2021 22:52:54 GMT

Sighing, Fawnpaw realized she didn't have it right. Resting her tail across her mismatched color paws, she tried to get as comfortable as she could. She had a lot to learn, and there was no time like the present to learn it. Now and then, her tail would flick, not out of annoyance but more to give her something to do. Even with his reinsurance, she would still listen to around her in case something snuck up.

Listening and thinking about what was being described, her turquoise eyes narrowed. Many times she had been attacked by other cats with the comments that she was not welcome there. She took many mental notes, most being about how she should be careful around these other groups. She was glad she didn't run across those other groups while just trying the hunted the river. A shiver went down her spine thinking about what could have happened. Her thought so also into the future about someone being like her getting the help they need. If she was going to stay in one of these Clans, this is the place she would want to be.

She didn’t like the idea of fighting, but she understood it if it meant protecting the group. It wasn't fighting out of aggression but more for defense. It was going to take a lot of work for her to get to that point, but she wasn't against it. She nodded her head up and down. “Yes, that makes sense.”

Global Moderator

I have nothing to say.

Broadfae Avatar

Broadfae

Post by Broadfae on Aug 5, 2021 0:50:01 GMT

He had to give it to Fawnpaw; she was certainly an attentive student. She didn't talk much, but that was probably nerves - he knew the problem, even if his manifested in the exact opposite problem which was talking just a hair too much, and a little too fast. Maybe that was why they'd been partnered up - in the hopes of sort of playing off one another and teaching each other as much as he'd teach her.

"Well, that's good - and it's not like you need to pick up on everything in a single day. That's what training is for; so you can learn about the things you'll need to keep yourself and others safe." He grinned, then, in case it hadn't been made clear, gave her a gentle, encouraging poke with his tail. "Until you're old enough to be considered a warrior, I'm gonna help make sure you're safe; the whole clan will, actually. But me, especially. That's what it means to be a mentor - we make sure you learn all the things you'd need to know in order to help one another out, and together we're stronger as a clan than we are as the individual. You don't have to worry about food, or being lonely again with us around." 

"As for the other clans - they're supposed to stick  to their own lands. Part of our job is to make sure they don't come running over our boarders or try to take things from us - and we don't go bothering theirs. There are...exceptions to those rules, but for now you don't need to worry about that until the Gathering - and seeing as I'm not even sure Foxstar'll pick us to even go this time - that's something we can worry about later."

My, wouldn't that be an exciting time, however - getting to see the other clans, show off the fact that he had an apprentice; him, his very first new apprentice. Really rather special. 

"Now, let's see...do you know how to tell the differences between scents yet - because that's probably something we should start with, just in case -  so you can tell which ones are friends and which ones to stick away from, just in case when we start doing stuff like hunting."

Kit

I have nothing to say.

leonyami Avatar

leonyami

Post by leonyami on Aug 6, 2021 18:12:38 GMT

Taking in Nutdapple’s words, Fawnpaw didn’t know what to think about them. Again deep in her thought, she didn't notice the tail coming towards her until it touched her. Suddenly, she jumped to her paws with eyes wide with shock, the hair on the scruff of her neck stood up, and her tail puffed up. Realizing what has happened, she took a deep breath and sat back down.

She continued to listen with the few words that were foreign to her. Knowing probably get what they meant in the future if she stayed with this group, she continued to listen. Also, she got from the tom’s reaction that was a thing that you should be excited about.

When asked to tell the difference between senses her heart begins to beat faster. She was never really good at telling different things from smell at the first time. Many times more than she could count, she ate some questionable things from the bins.

The idea that she could be kicked out was still fresh in her mind from her thoughts earlier. Finally, she couldn't help but ask. “So you're not going to kick me out if I am not good enough?” With that statement, her thoughts went to the two legs that abandoned her. That was one of the reasons why she hadn't got comfortable around the camp. Why get used to something if only it's going to be taken away again. Pausing for what seemed like an eternity, she waited for the reply. During this time, she didn't even move a muscle or breathe.

Global Moderator

I have nothing to say.

Broadfae Avatar

Broadfae

Post by Broadfae on Aug 11, 2021 0:11:51 GMT

All throughout his rambling, she hadn't actually questioned anything. She seemed to be pretty set on listening, but she was also jumpy. There was nothing wrong with a cat being frightened; in fact, having one's senses on high alert was generally a pretty good idea, but when she finally asked a question - it was one that was rather shocking to him; and he realized maybe what they needed wasn't a talk about the territories - but something on a more personal level. 

"What? NO! No what would make you think that - ?!" He stopped himself when he realized his exuberant words might have come off as something else, stopping himself with a shake of his head and a slight sigh, as he approached Fawnpaw again, carefully.

"Maybe we've gotten off on the wrong foot, okay? So here's the thing. I know you aren't from the clans originally, but it's obvious to me at least that you've gotten yourself accepted by the clan; this name, the fact that you're an apprentice. You're one of us now, and one of the rules of the clans - part of our code is that we fight for our clanmates. That's you, now. From the moment you said you'd be willing to become and apprentice."

"I...I know it's strange. I never got to see what it was like, living on my own. I've always had someone around me, being in the clan; but I can imagine that it's scary and lonely and all of that. I was pretty sick as a kit; so I didn't get to hang out with many cats my age. Mostly the adults. But because of that I know exactly what a clan does when they look out for the weaker individuals. So here's a promise; you're not gonna be chucked out. Nobody's gonna say you can't be a proper warrior, or be a good cat, or anything like that - even if you were nose-blind and completely unable to walk three feet without tripping over your paws. We take care of each other."

"And on top of that - maybe it's hard to believe that a whole group of cats will keep that promise, but one cat certainly can; and a mentor's job? We're supposed to train and look after you...but on top of that...you can think of me as a friend, okay? If you think nobody else out there has your back, at least I will, alright? You can be honest and ask me a million questions and I'll answer them as best I can, and if I don't know the answer I'll find it. We can look after one another for now and maybe you'll start to pick up on the fact that, unlike some loners - who aren't all bad sorts, really, just a little disorganized - we don't leave clanmates behind, no matter how strong they may or may not be."

She had jumped away from his touch before - so this time he was careful to be deliberate as he lifted his paw in front of her. "Pawshake on it. It's a promise."

Kit

I have nothing to say.

leonyami Avatar

leonyami

Post by leonyami on Aug 11, 2021 19:55:33 GMT

Fawnpaw was a deer in headlights, her turquoise eyes were wide, like saucers. When the questions came, she tried to open her mouth, but she couldn’t even move. Her mind raced with what answer she could provide why she was like the way she was. As he continued, she let the thoughts drift away and focused on what he was saying.

Finally, halfway through, she released a breath. It was more like a gasp as she continued to listen, as she could no longer hold it. Her body began to relax, but you can still see the slight tension in her muscles. The black tip of her tail flicked back and forth again to give her something to do.

After he was done, if you look closely, you might see a slight smile in the corners of her mouth. Yes, she was cautious and worried, but at least she had someone on her side now. That gave her more hope than she's had in a very long time. “It…” Her voice came out squeaky and horse. Quickly, she cleared her throat. “It is a promise, then mentor.” She limply lifted her pawl to match his. She was confused about what to do next, but she was ready this time for anything.

Global Moderator

I have nothing to say.

Broadfae Avatar

Broadfae

Post by Broadfae on Aug 12, 2021 22:09:25 GMT

Her paw was surprisingly small compared to his - even though he was hardly one of the biggest cats. But that didn't matter, because it wasn't the size of the cat that mattered, but the size of their heart - and at the very least Nutdapple thought that they could, perhaps, work with this - work together to make a name for themselves once they got over the nervousness of the young she-cat, and what it meant to be a clan cat.

She needed to know that at least someone was on her side - and Nutdapple was more than willing to do that. He was a blind follower in the morals of his clan and their heaven - so it was easy for him. Still, he was always oddly protective of the weaker, smaller cats - the ones that needed defending. So many that was why Foxstar had seen it as appropriate that they be partnered together.

He certainly wasn't going to argue it. 

"Alright - so long as you've got that - and no need to jump like a mouse when you get a question wrong. That's what's learnings' supposed to be about, okay?" He'd made plenty of mistakes - still made them, if you listened to what others said about how he acted, sometimes. But there was nothing wrong with that so long as nobody got seriously hurt. "So we can start somewhere with this, and go one from that - tracking. It'll help you when you're in trouble, and if you ever run across a cat your not sure about. Different smells and things like that. Each of the clans sort of have their own sort of scents - not to mention that prey smells different too." He hadn't set up any sort of test, but they were relatively close to the border.

"Take a deep sniff in - see if you can smell anything in particular - something that you wouldn't recognize from around our camp."

Kit

I have nothing to say.

leonyami Avatar

leonyami

Post by leonyami on Aug 15, 2021 1:37:20 GMT

Watching how Nutdapple’s paw in Fawnpaw’s paw, she studied what pawshake meant, figuring it would probably come up in the future. She also took note of the different sizes of their paws as she had not noticed it before. Yes, she knew she wasn't the biggest cat in the world, but the size difference was a little bit shocking to her.

She continued to listen, making more mental notes about questions that are okay and it's okay to make mistakes. Giving a slight nod to show that she was listening, she took in a deep breath. It's okay she reminded herself after hearing the word that they would be working on tracking scents. From what she heard earlier, this was an important step for a warrior. She didn't like the idea of running into a fight without knowing it.

Just spot the differences is all you have to do, she reminded herself. She took in a deep sniff and was shocks by the different smells that she got. Quickly, her nose wrinkled back. “ Gross. It smells like some of the stuff I used to eat out of the bins.” The memory brought in a foul taste into her mouth. She was a bit cautious to continue sniffing, unsure if she wanted to smell the other smells around.

Global Moderator

I have nothing to say.

Broadfae Avatar

Broadfae

Post by Broadfae on Aug 16, 2021 0:18:45 GMT

Her description was blunt, but nonetheless accurate - Nutdapple had to stifle a mrow of laughter at the comment. "Well - that's one way of putting it; but you're right. Nightclan cats do have a bit of a...a funk, I guess." Next time he saw them he would certainly toss out a comment about Crowfood - what with their high and mighty attitudes, it might knock them down a few pegs. 

"I think it's because of where our neighbors live - out in the swampier lands, where there is a lot of mud and muck and stuff that's dying. They don't get the nice, dry vegetation we've got. Plus they're the kind of eat snakes and frogs and stuff - it's totally weird." Yes, he was passing on hearsay and speculation - but it was what he'd done as an apprentice; call it a time honored tradition to pass on stereotypes of their neighbors. 

"If you ever smell something like that, closer to our camp - first thing you should do is let someone else know - because it might mean trouble." Even if it wasn't Nightclan - decay wasn't something any of them wanted to deal with. "But for the most part, the only reason we're smelling it hear is because they've marked our border on their side. See, as the wind's blowing the other way, they'll get our scent - clean, earthy...bit of oak maple sap mixed in. At least, that's what some of the other's have said we smell like."

As it was natural, he didn't know any difference, so it was hard to pick out one's own scent to describe it. 

"As a warrior, probably the most jobs you'll have will do with remarking the border - so that strangers know that they're coming on our lands, and the other clans know that we've been out patrolling and will think twice about stepping over their boundaries." As if to show her, he rubbed himself up against a nearby tree, leaving behind traces. "At the same time we can see the other clans, and sometimes...if they need help, and we're feeling generous enough...we can meet them here and make negotiations."

More often than not two patrols would lead to a disagreement and a bit of a tussle - but she didn't need to know that. It would only serve to worry her more, surely. "The fact that you recognized it so easily - that's good though. Dawnclan's a bit different; almost too clean. Cold. Icy. You'll catch the hang of things quick though, if you're already picking stuff like this up!"

Kit

I have nothing to say.

leonyami Avatar

leonyami

Post by leonyami on Aug 21, 2021 18:23:07 GMT

At first, Fawnpaw was a little worried that she's messed up, but it led her more to surprise when she was right. She made a mental note to keep that smell in mind and to stay away from it for multiple reasons. One thing being a dangerous clan and the other being really bad food. She didn't mind the water, but she couldn't understand living in it all the time. The thought caused her to dig her paws into the dirt.

She also took note of the wind, something she hadn't thought about before. Maybe that was one of the reasons why cats seem to sneak up on her without her realizing it. She also tried to think about when she first met the clan to try to see if the scent description was accurate. She couldn't recall that was an accurate description or not, so she continued to listen.

The next thing on the mental note list was how to mark territory and why. After watching, she rubbed a nearby tree to help. The thought of helping the other clans made her excited and also made her nervous. Didn't her Mentor just mention how Nightclan wasn't the best clan and was to be feared? What happened next was a thing that she realized she was going to have to get used to as it happened pretty often. Shrugging. “It wasn't a big deal even a new borne kit, could smell that.” Her nose wrinkles up at the thought of smell again.

Quick Reply

ALERTS

[ Alerts ]
●︎ Clans are reforming and are on high alert
●︎ The high water from melting has created a super green environment. Prey is rather plentiful
●︎ Water levels appear to be rising due the melting snow in Dawnclan
●︎ Weather is very warm, the snow and ice in Dawnclan is melting!
[ Rank Changes ]
●︎ A leader for Nightclan has been chosen! Congrats Skystar!
●︎ Thistletea has been appointed medicine cat of Oakclan

[ Deaths ]

WEATHER STATUS

[ Weather Status ]
The air is warm and and wet making it a bit hard to breathe. The hot weather is causing the snow to melt in Dawnclan territory. This is causing water levels to rise.

[ Prey Status ]
Prey is plentiful in all clans!

[ Herb Status ]
The rising water has hidden some herbs in Oakclan and Nightclan but water thriving plants seem to be growing in high abudance!

THE CLANS

Leader: Silverbane
Deputy: Reserved (Ameri)
Medicine Cat: Frostbite
Toms: 0 She-cats: 0 Other: 0

Dawnclan Allegiances

Leader: Reserved (Kaz)
Deputy: Reserved (Wolfpool)
Medicine Cat: Thistletea
Toms: 1 She-cats: 0 Other: 0

Oakclan Allegiances

Leader: Skystar